How to sleep to fix lower back pain is the most often asked question by my patients. People with lower back pain find it hard to sleep because it involves the spine, making sleeping harder.
What Will I learn
I suggest to my patients certain tips on how to sleep to fix lower back pain. By following these tips and tricks, one can get rid of lower back pain while sleeping.
Tips & Tricks To Fix Lower Back Pain While Sleeping
A proper sleeping pattern helps in better care of your spine. Half of the pain can be cured by sleeping in proper order.
By following the suggested sleeping pattern, you can relax your muscles. These will help you to wake up with a pain-free lower back.
My patients have applied these tips. These are considered the best to fix lower back pain.
1. Check Your Mattress:
Your mattress plays an important role in curing your lower back pain. A good mattress can cure the pain. A bad and inappropriate mattress can cause lower back pain while sleeping.
There are certain things that you should check in your mattress that is a good fit for you or not.
– If you feel any stiffness after waking up, there might be a chance that your mattress is not a good fit for you.
– If your mattress is old, it’s time for a new, comfortable mattress.
– Test your mattress before buying it.
– Buy neither a very soft nor very hard mattress; buy any medium-firm mattresses.
– A mattress should support your back by comforting your muscles.
2. Check Your Pillow:
Pillow is also important as well. Pillow supports the neck and helps in sleeping.
– Pillow should not be too thin or thick. It should be of medium hardness. It should be able to support the neck properly.
– If your pillow is too thick, it will put pressure on your neck and shake off your body’s posture.
– If your pillow is too thin, it can also affect your body’s posture and put your neck on extension.
– A thin pillow helps when you are lying on the back.
– A thick pillow helps when you are lying on the side.
3. Correct Your Sleeping Positions With The Help Of A Pillow:
Your sleeping positions affect your lower back. Try to find out which sleeping position helps you wake up without pain.
Some sleeping positions cause pain in the lower back and affect the body’s posture.
1. Sleep On The Back With A Pillow Under Your Knees:
– Sleeping on your back helps in reducing lower back pain.
– It divides the weight equally over the body.
– It helps in keeping a proper placement of your head, shoulders, and hips.
– A pillow under the knees will keep your lower back safe from hyperextension.
– You can also place any small towel on your back to support it completely.
– People who used to sleep on their backs should use thinner pillows. They can support the neck.
– Water pillow is also useful in this condition.
2. Sleeping On The Side With A Pillow Between Your Knees:
– Sleeping on the side keeps the spine in a neutral position.
– Use a pillow between your knees. It will help in maintaining the proper position of the hips.
– Keep changing the side on which you are sleeping because it can cause muscle imbalance.
– You should use a firm pillow. A pillow that can cover the space between your ear and shoulder.
– Also, put a firm pillow or a rolled towel between your knees.
3. Sleep On Your Stomach With A Pillow Under Your Abdomen:
Sleeping on your stomach can put a little stress on your back. To avoid that pain, use a pillow under your lower abdomen. It will release some pressure from your back.
– People with degenerative discs can feel this position more convenient to them.
– People sleeping on their stomachs should use a thinner pillow. It will keep your body aligned.
4. Try Not To Sleep In Extreme Positions:
Extreme positions are not good to sleep on. They cause severe back pain.
– Sleeping in extreme positions can cause lower back pain.
– Your body should not be too curved or too flat.
– Take care of the position you choose. It must keep your spine in proper balance and more relaxed.
5. Try To Sleep In The Fetal Position:
This position is considered the best position for people having herniated discs.
– You must lay on your back and roll over onto the side.
– Bend both of our knees and try to have a relaxed position with them.
– You can place a pillow between your knees and ankles.
– Pillow will help to keep the body aligned.
– Keep changing the sides to avoid imbalanced muscles.
6. Be Careful About How To Get In And Get Out Of Bed:
When you get out of bed fast, it can make the lower back pain worse than before.
– Try to get into bed in proper order. Firstly, Sit down on the edge of the bed and then lay back in the position you want to.
– While getting out of bed, maintain a proper order to avoid lower back pain.
Important Hygiene Tips For Better Sleep
I’ve seen in my medical career that adopting hygienic habits can cure lower back pain. I recommend some hygienic tips to my patients to sleep better to relax the lower back.
A few are described below:
1. Try To Follow A Sleeping Pattern:
When you get into bed on time and wake up at a certain time, it’ll make your body habitual of a sleeping pattern.
Your body will need sleep and rest at that particular time.
2. Try To Avoid Caffeine And Large Meals Before Bedtime:
Before bed, you should avoid having large meals and caffeine as they can cause acid reflux. It can keep you awake at night and can cause lower back pain.
Try to have light and healthy food before going to bed. It can prevent lower back pain.
3. Try To Minimize Alcohol Intake:
Extreme alcoholic intake is not healthy for anyone, especially before bedtime. It can wake you up in the middle of the night, and you will be awakening for the remaining time.
Before bedtime, you should not take any harmful food.
4. Avoid Doing Exercise Before Bedtime:
Try to do exercise in the morning time. Doing exercise at night can raise your body temperature. It will make it hard to sleep.
Exercise makes the body parts and muscles active. For good sleep, the body needs relaxed muscles.
5. Deep Breathing Can Help In Fast Sleep:
Breathing in and out at your bedtime can make you fall asleep fast. It relaxes each body part. It makes muscles more relaxed and calm.
Deep breathing reduces lower back pain while sleeping, and you can sleep in peace.
6. Try To Have A Palliative Rub:
Putting a palliative rub on your lower back generates a peaceful feeling of warmth. It will relax the muscles and other body parts.
It can fall asleep faster. You can sleep with no pain. Try to have it more often to get relaxed sleep.
When To Consult A Physician
Lower back pain can get worse if you do not get yourself checked at the right time. One should consult a doctor if they have these symptoms.
– Weight loss
– Lower back pain getting worse
– When pain is devastating
– It continues to pain in the legs
– Muscular imbalance
– Having fever with continuous back pain
– Having a weak bowler
Pain in the lower back can make it difficult to sleep stress-free. Sleeping can help you to fix your lower back pain. Adopt the sleeping positions described above according to your convenience.
Inappropriate sleeping positions can cause more severe lower back pain. Correct your sleeping positions and sleep with a pain-free back.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Your Mattress Cause Lower Back Pain?
Yes, inappropriate and uncomfortable mattresses can cause lower back pain. Choose your mattress wisely. The mattress is neither too soft nor too hard. They should be of the middle firm.
Mattress plays an important role in the lower back. It keeps the spine in the correct position and reduces the risk of lower back pain,
2. How To Sleep To Fix Lower Back Pain?
Try to find the best and most comfortable position to sleep in. Don’t sleep on one side. It will create an imbalance in muscles. Keep changing the side after some time.
Try different relaxing methods for lower back pain. Avoid the use of alcohol and caffeine. Avoid any sleep disturbance.
3. How Are Sleep and Lower Back Pain Related?
Any pain in the lower back makes it hard to sleep peacefully. When your muscles are relaxed, you can sleep well. Not sleeping with proper posture can cause lower back pain.
A proper mattress and pillow can solve this problem. They make the body comfortable and in a resting position.
- What Does Lower Back Pain Mean Spiritually - April 2, 2023
- What To Do If Lower Back Pain Doesn’t Go Away – Treatment Options - April 1, 2023
- Will Lower Back Pain Cause Constipation – Causes & Symptoms - March 31, 2023